jueves, septiembre 8

Patrick Ewing Effect Redux? Or Cornhole Comes To You!

OK, now it starts. My mission to infiltrate the inner depths of my new home town has begun. It has become of even greater importance that I meet people, do things, and experience all there is to do here in the ass crack of Ohio (I mean this in the most endearing way possible). My regular readers (read: reader) would say- “Hey you’ve been there for a while, and didn’t you write about going to baseball games and concerts?” Well, yeah I did, but I did those things as a tourist not as a resident of Cincy. Now that I have a home to call my own and almost a bed to rest my head I have made the first steps in saturating myself with this town (which I once dubbed as “God-forsaken” but have now come to find that God didn’t actually forget about Cincinnati He just lost its number when he switched service providers and is really, really sorry).

It is my hope that in my travels throughout the Queen City I will be able to relate to those back home (read: Miami) and elsewhere the things that set this town apart from all those other cities most Americans assume are just breeding grounds for white trash. Eventually someone who lives here also will read this also therefore I guess I’m going to have to stick to the facts for posterity’s sake.

That last word’s homophone- sake-(Thanks, Ross) was actually the center of my activities last night at the Cincinnati Art Museum. Sure, it took me 16 years to go to the Art Museum in the only other place I’ve lived, but like I said before I’m motivated here to get out. It was a great idea and I’m not going to take credit for it. It was actually recommended to me by, unbeknownst to them, two different sources. They had sake tasting and if you ever get a chance try plum-flavored sake.

Another unique thing to Cincinnati is Cornhole (has nothing to do with your butt), which I had mentioned before during one of my previous trips to Cincinnati (click here). Now there’s a great way for everyone (yes, I am talking to you and only you) to find out more about Cincinnati’s favorite party game. Click the link: (click the cornhole) it will take you to a beer site. Enter your birth date and then click enter. The page you will next go to has a spot toward the bottom, in the middle, that says “Cornhole, PLAY NOW.” Those instructions should get you to the game, unless you have been playing Cornhole, which would mean you are drink.

If you are having problems picking a team just think about what part of town you represent in your own hometown. Here in Cincy the “Eastside” is a more affluent part of town, while the “Westside” is considered the “blue-collar” (read: trashy) side of town. Here’s a hint if you live in Miami and don’t know which to pick- if you live close to Hialeah pick the “Westside.”

So there’s another one from Cincinnati (famous for a little known TV show in the 80’s). The Song of the Day for today is “There Is No Song of the Day for Today”.

Coming up next: Oktoberfest Kentucky Style! (They have Germans too)



Publicar un comentario
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates