miércoles, noviembre 9

Pass The Peas Like They Used To Say

The most talked about topic is the weather. At first you might think that you really don’t spend a great deal of time thinking about weather discussions, but if you actually reason it the whole idea makes sense. For instance there are probably 4 or 5 times a day you find yourself forced to speak to a familiar stranger, someone you see all the time but really know nothing about. Most people call these types of folk coworkers but that is a bit narrow-minded.

When ever I find myself stuck in an elevator with someone I can’t just ignore b/c I’m going to see him or her 5 more times that day I usually will bring up how cold or not cold it was that morning. I doubt that I’m doing this b/c I know that the weather is the most discussed topic, if anything I would keep away from it for that reason. It is just that this subject is such an easy one to talk about. We all have to deal with it and it is very hard for there to be huge disagreement over what the current weather is. Maybe it’s too cold for you or not cold enough for someone else but neither of those opinions changes the actual temperature.

I can’t just not say anything either. I’ve already learned that the anti-social person at work is the one who doesn’t like working here, therefore wants to work somewhere else and thusly won’t be promoted. The need to move up in the corporate world with the added void there is when referring to friends is motivation enough to be my most sociable self. Perhaps the thin line of being social and being diligently at work is a topic for another day, or I could just have gotten into sales or direct marketing and merged them both together. At least that way I would be motivated to fake it.

It isn’t like you can offend someone when referring to the weather outside of saying “No it’s actually very cold; you just can’t tell b/c you’re so fat,” but that’s bringing in a whole other topic all together. We can’t really blame the weather as being the offensive part of that statement now can we? More evidence of this is the fact there is no politically correct way to refer to weather patterns. This might be the only area that actually has not felt the wrath of over sensitive Americans and European immigrants.

Why am I still talking about the most talked about topic? It obviously doesn’t need to be written about anymore. This post is turning out to be like one of the Simpson episodes from the past (horrific) decade where the first 10 minutes do nothing but set up the conflict for the last 12 minutes.

Later on tonight I’ll most likely find myself among several familiar strangers. No I don’t work with any of them, but I really don’t know almost all of them. Actually I know one person; obviously it would be very strange if I just started hanging out with random strangers. I make sure there’s nothing random about the strangers I spend time with. That was a lesson re-taught to me this past weekend by the African-American version of the “Three Amigos” also known individually as Tommy Gun, Black Ice, and Fresh.

Either way I digress. What concerns me is that I won’t know what the hell to talk about in front of a bunch of people I hardly know. As much as I try to act like I don’t mind it, I really don’t like hanging out with people I don’t know. The thing is that I know it is the only way I’m going to meet anyone in this city. Tonight being one of those nights when I’m surrounded by people I don’t know in a social setting I tend to think about the uncertainty of it all or what some call awkwardness.

I'm sure all those years of being told not to talk to strangers has something to do with this petty insecurity.

I just hope I don’t end up talking about the weather. I’m sure it’ll be fine. I just needed something talk about and I didn’t want it to be TV related.

Oh and the semi-annual trip to New York is just a few days away. Perhaps some good material will come from that. If anyone knows anything new and cool to do in New York, or what cool kids call “the city,” please send your suggestions this way.



Publicar un comentario
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates