viernes, octubre 28

Ray Is A Genius But Whiteny Is A Crack Whore

A few weeks back I finally saw the movie “Ray.” I can see why it garnered such acclaim and why Jaime Foxx won awards for. As far as movies go everything seemed to go right. Except I felt as though nothing new was being done, but then again doing old things better is sometimes better than doing something new. I learned a lot about Ray Charles, like how I should call him Ray Robinson b/c that was his real name. The thing is I didn’t know much about Ray b/c I didn’t care to know much. Sure I like a lot of his music but I’ve never thought about researching who the guy was.

I think that I, like most people, did not realize how much of a junkie Ray Robinson was. This could be due to the fact that I wasn’t around when he had legal problems b/c of it. Pretty much what I took away from that aspect of the movie was that good ol’ Ray is a lot like presently famous musicians. Yet I don’t remember him being regarded as such. I remember people praising Ray for as long as I can remember. If there was ever a time that someone qualified Ray’s greatness with his addiction to heroin I must have missed it.

All this just leads me to wonder why someone like Whitney Houston is thought of as a crack head before being thought of as one the greatest singers of all time. Don’t get me wrong I’m trying to say that Whitney’s situation is exactly like Ray’s but obviously there are some similarities on which to build this comparison. For the sake of this argument I’m going to claim that the public perception of Whitney is that of a diva and a whacko not of an ultra talented woman.

Her crack habit and decision to marry Bobby Brown have shaped her public persona more in the past decade than any note she ever sang did. Maybe if she was blind people would at least let the Bobby Brown thing slide, not that he’s ugly but just the way he carries himself makes you stare- hence the existence of his reality show.

So why did we let Ray slide while Whitney will always have that crack-forged cross to bear? It makes me wonder. If you know why please let me know.

Ray = Genius

Whitney = Crack head

Does she need to die for the praise to overcome the crack habit talk?

Yeah I know I posted this as a Friday post and it's really Thursday. So, what?



Publicar un comentario
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates