miércoles, octubre 12

On the side of the freeway...

Since I’ve moved up here two people have been run over by a car or truck while walking on the side of the highway in this area. As far as I can remember I have never heard of this happening back in Miami. I attribute this to the fact that the concept of “walking” while outside hasn’t been adopted by most people there.

Still it is pretty strange to find that people are being picked off the side of the road and at such a rapid pace. The first time it happened it was a semi that clipped the lady before tossing her into another car and ultimately her death. The driver of the truck said he didn’t even notice that he had hit someone after he was stopped an hour down the road. No doubt this would be my story also. Who the hell is going to admit that they ran over a lady and just kept on truckin’? Witnesses claimed they saw the lady swerve into traffic while walking on the side of the highway, so apparently she just wanted to complicate strangers’ lives with her suicide not just family and friends. Even posthumously her “15 minutes of fame” are ill deserved.

I didn’t get as much info on the second guy partly b/c I became quickly desensitized to pedestrian deaths on the highway and partly due to the fact that I didn’t want to give away to those around me that people dying on the side of the highway is something new to me. You know, my way of trying to fit in.

I actually do find this whole ordeal a bit threatening b/c I know there’s probably going to come a time when I’m going to have to pull off the side of the highway to either change a tire or what have you. Maybe this is just a sign from God that I should walk in the vegetation off the side of the highway and not on the emergency lane. I’m making sure that I’ll be prepared for this by keeping a fresh pair of galoshes in my trunk and a machete hidden under my spare tire. I’m still debating the effectiveness of road flares in this situation.



Publicar un comentario
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates