lunes, octubre 17

Music Machete Rises Again

It has been a while since I’ve done one of these. This whole transition of moving up to Cincinnati has left me with not only little time to post but also fewer chances to check out new music online (or download illegally also).

I’ve seem to have fallen into a pattern of purchasing the newest album of w/e band I plan on seeing live soon. My Morning Jacket is playing here next week and just released a new album at the beginning of this month, making them a prime candidate to be reviewed by yours truly. Here's what I think of their new album "Z."

To start off I want to bring up some other bands you might like if you enjoy this new album by My Morning Jacket (MMJ), or vice versa. If you like the way the front men of The Flaming Lips or The Shins sound you’ll like MMJ. They use a lot of thick, raspy guitar tones a la 311 in their prime. This album features a lot of instances when the music is slowed down and simplified, a technique that resembles Radiohead b/c of the way the “slow-down” is used to contrast the complex climax that is inevitable in most songs. MMJ still takes the time to jam out and I would be taking a lot away from them if I didn’t admit they have their own sound also. All those references to other bands I’ve mentioned are just a way for you to figure out if you might like MMJ.

The band that I could say really comes close to what MMJ does is Coldplay, if they ever tried to record new music and challenge themselves. Both bands seem to use the same ingredients in their songwriting but while Coldplay yields only humdrum music that we’ve already heard before MMJ goes the extra mile to define their own flavor.

Each song on the album seems to employ a different influence. Most of the original members of MMJ are from Kentucky so there’s no doubt that some of them grew up influenced by country music. The album is, for the most part, full of mellow songs. I mentioned before that they slow their music down like Radiohead but there are also similarities to the slow songs on Ween’s album “Quebec.”

Overall I really enjoy the album. It probably won’t go down as “greatest ever” but it definitely has a lot of plays in it. In my opinion this album doesn’t really seem to sound specific to any era or trend, which is usually a characteristic of a great album. It’s a different sounding album. To me that’s important and will go a long way in me determining whether I like it or not.

I’ll try to follow up after I get to seem them live.



Publicar un comentario
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates