martes, octubre 18

Homecomings Galore!

There's a lot on my mind this morning. The first thing I want to mention is that Fats Domino has returned. http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/17/hurricanes.fatsdomino.reut/index.html


Most people remember Fats Domino for his rendition of the classic "On Blueberry Hill." I remember him just b/c his name is Fats. I find it very strange that it took this long for Fats to resurface. Sure, he's been out of the limelight for a while but he was one of the most famous people to go missing after Hurricane Katrina. For some reason Fats forgot that he has adoring fans who were holding candlelight vigils, hoping to see that chubby face rise from the destruction in the bayou. I just want to take this moment to say thank you Fats for letting us know you are ok, but next time you better call someone and let them know you've evacuated safely.

Another much talked about return is going on in New England as the Patriots welcome back their Eric Estrada looking linebacker Teddy Bruschi. Anyone who has ever had any type of conversation with me concerning the New England Patriots has come out of that conversation knowing that of all the things to despise in the world Teddy Bruschi is number one on my list. Every once in a while an athlete comes around that just gets on my last nerve. Whether it is Mike Vanderjagt, Brian Williams (aka Bison Dele) or whoever my hate for them is always unmerited and inexplicable. All I know is that when I see Teddy Bruschi my day is ruined. Before Teddy Bruschi was forced into a short-lived retirement I spent a lot of time hoping and wishing that something would happen to him that would stop him from ever playing again. I felt this was a fair deal, Teddy had already won a few championships and I wouldn't have to see him on Sundays anymore.

I know this might seem weird or devious on my part but don't get me wrong I wasn't praying for ol' Teddy to become a paralytic or even suffer any long term health problems. I envisioned Teddy at home with his family having a great time with no cameras around so that there wouldn't be any chance that I would see his ugly face while flipping through the channels.

Pat Roberts prayed for the removal of justices from the U.S. Supreme Court and he got what he wanted when one retired and another dropped dead. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to God with some selfish Pat Roberts-esque prayer. I was just hoping something would remove Teddy from football forever, but not death.

Apparently death is what it'll take b/c Teddy after suffering a stroke this offseason, being declared unfit to play ever again, and retiring Teddy is still returning. This isn't like Lance Armstrong coming back from cancer. Doctors have told Teddy that he could suffer life threatening brain damage if he sustains the right hit on the head. Why would he take this chance?

I just want to make it clear that all I wanted was Teddy to stop playing football, not his removal from life itself. I hope that when someone does hit him too hard and he ends up in a hospital fighting for his life that the guy who hit him doesn't think it's his fault. Teddy seems to be hellbent on dying with pads on. He could have made fortune playing Eric Estrada in the CHiPS big screen remake, and passing on that would be a worse career decision than when Ralph Macchio passed on "Back To The Future"



Publicar un comentario
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates