jueves, septiembre 15

Evidence of Having Nothing to Talk About

Top sign that I’m blending in with the regular workforce- Most of my attention is fixed on where we’re going to Happy Hour on Friday.

I was originally thinking of doing a post revolving around a funny survey. The thing is surveys aren’t funny. Instead I’m just going to ramble for today’s post.

Ramblin’ #1:
I notified the post office I had a change in address as soon as I had an address to change to. The consequence of this is that it takes a while now to get my mail. Obviously we don’t live in ancient times before the internet (read: the 80’s) so tangible mail isn’t a huge necessity. The problem is I am currently subscribed to a bunch of magazines thanks to free subscription found on the website the link on the left named “Bargains” takes you to. Yesterday I received my NFL preview edition of the Sporting News, riveting stuff. There were some things that stood out to me as I leafed through a preview I had the benefit of first viewing after teams had already played their first game.
The first thing is that the “fantasy” value of player seems to trump the value that same player has for his team. Let me explain this for those who don’t understand the “fantasy” part of the last sentence. By fantasy I mean the leagues sports fans join to be able to make their own “dream” team and compete based on their ability to pick people who are going to be productive by w/e their league standards (statistics). Therefore I get to read up on how good some guy’s stats are going to be. Maybe its b/c players move around so much that fans now really don’t care what team they play for. Fans will cheer for “their” team and also “their” players even if cheering for one would mean cheering against the other. Logic is never invited to anywhere sports are going to be; this is what keeps Dungeons & Dragons from becoming an Olympic sport.
The second, and final, thing I’ll mention about my belated NFL preview was that each segment on a team contained compliments and praise for certain players on that team. Either the offense is going to be “high-powered” or the defense is going to be “dominating.” I can’t say that any of the teams really had much written about how bad that team was actually going to be. Every team had the same levels of positives and negatives. Yet somehow the same people that had nothing but great things to say about every team were able to tell exactly what the standings would be at the end of the season. They didn’t say which teams were better than which, no, they were actually able to come up with the record for each team. Sure, almost every team was either going to have 10,9, or 7 wins, but I seem to have come back to the same conclusion about people who are employed to cover sports in the media: THEY KNOW NOTHING!
Wouldn’t you have gone in to sports journalism if you would have known you didn’t need to know anything? All you need is to have an opinion. Is there any other job like this (other than Terrorist Expert for any cable news station, but even then you need some convincing experience)? So if you could tell the difference between different shapes of leather you are ready to have a job. Why is this not being heralded in the inner city and unemployment offices?


Ramblin’#2
I’ll try to ramble a little less on this one. I had a Reuben sandwich today. It was my first ever. I actually only had half of a Reuben, but I swear it was b/c I heard it was filling not b/c I heard it was invented by a Hebrew. The sandwich was great and the potato cake that came with it almost made me forget all about tostones, yet a few hours later I am starting to realize how beneficial it is to practice moderation when it comes to eating sauerkraut.



Ramblin’#3
Since its Thursday it’s about that time to figure out what is in store for the weekend, because for all the things to be unprepared for, the weekend is the worst. I’m still a weekend away from a couch, dinning table, and cable television so I’ll try my best to appreciate the bare floors while I still have a chance. This weekend is full of opportunity. Friday already has the obligatory happy hour attached to it, which will then be followed to another trip to little-Germany as Cincinnati celebrates Oktoberfest. Last week’s Oktoberfest was small compared to this one apparently. I hope to be able to at least hold a conversation in German by the end of the festivities. The next day I have the wonderful prospect of combating a hangover with rollercoasters, and everyone knows how well rollercoasters take away your hang over. I’ll be going to King’s Island once again, hoping to make good on the promise of knocking some teeth loose. I’m actually excited about going to the King’s Island again. You can usually gauge my excitement by my level of sarcasm.

I think that is enough for now.

Someone was reading my blog for almost 44 minutes today. That's 28 minutes past being a cause for concern. If you work at FPA Medical Management or at the law firm of Otterbourg, Steindler, Houston & Rosen shoot me an e-mail and let me know who you are.



Publicar un comentario
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates