lunes, julio 11

Why the beans aren't for me.

Here's something if you're bored Monday and stumbled in my direction:

I've been planning my escape for a while, from Miami that is. Although this comes as no surprise to those who know me I still get asked:
"Why do you want to leave?"
or
"How can you leave all these frijoles?"

The first one is easy- 22 years of this same place is enough for me. The second one is a bit more perplexing and brings up a really practical point, yet somehow I seem to have prioritized differently.

There is no denying that I enjoy Miami, in fact I believe it is a part of who I am. Thinking about this lead me to ask "how much is this city a part of my life?". Over my long period of observation here I have been led to conclude that only by figuring out how much of my life is related to Dan Marino, the man who ruled this land my entire life, will I ever know if this is the place for me.

He is the man would be the god-like hero blind old poets would write about in Miami if anyone still read poetry and football players were allowed to use weapons. In his rule over this city of mine Dan Marino's path and my own have intersected. For instance:
1. I was born two weeks later than I supposed to in an attempt to signal what would come just two weeks after my date of birth- the drafting of Dan Marino by The Miami Dolphins on April 26, 1983.
2. Neither I nor Dan Marino have won our way in to the Super Bowl.
3. We both have our own websites - even sharing common goals on what we use our sites for- Dan Marino.com
4. He's from Pittsburgh, I have been to Pittsburgh
5. Most recently we will both be in Ohio in early August.

These coincidences rank me as only a 38.75 out of 100 in The Miami-Marino Correlation Scale. Others in this city can tie much more of their own history to Dan Marino than I can, yet it takes a vast knowledge of Dan Marino history (this knowledge on its own accounts for 25 points on the Miami-Marino Scale).


I was there, were you?

It seems my moderate knowledge of Marino history has shown me that on one hand I definitely have seen how he has been a part of my life. Unfortunately on the other hand all this has made evident that, in one more way, I am not cut out for this town. I ca not show my face with dignity in this city with that low of a score.

Send Marino my share of the frijoles bounty, Lord knows he's earned it.


With pig leather and head protection he ruled.



Publicar un comentario
Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates